Definition of hand crank in English:
A crank that is turned by hand.
- The hammer was soon replaced by a magneto powered with a hand crank.
- Private Confederate citizens built the Hunley, a primitive submarine powered by a hand crank.
- The ‘twittering’ in the title doubtless refers to the birds, while the ‘machine’ is suggested by the hand crank.
verbBack to top
(hand-crank) [with object] Operate (a device) by turning a crank by hand: the Professor began to hand-crank the machinery (as adjective hand-cranked) a hand-cranked generator
More example sentences
- While Goffe's ‘inferior’ knitter was sold in New York City, the most likely hand-cranked knitting machine was that of Jonas B. Aiken.
- For example, on reading Fara's chapter titled ‘Robert Boyle and the Air-pump,’ one might infer that Boyle invented the first hand-cranked vacuum pump.
- In 1846 the first hand-cranked ice cream machine was made by Nancy Johnston, the dessert became a favorite summer past time in American households.
Definition of hand crank in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan