Definition of hang-glider in English:
1An unpowered flying apparatus for a single person, consisting of a frame with a fabric aerofoil stretched over it. The operator is suspended from a harness below and controls flight by body movement.
- Imagine a hang-glider suspended over a trike and you're on the right track.
- The pair fell off the edge of the Aiguille du Midi, near Chamonix, Switzerland, as they tried to take off in a double-harnessed parapente, a large parachute like a hang-glider.
- After spending countless hours flying hang-gliders, he developed a hunger to create a flying machine that could take off like a plane with wheels or with floats on water in just 25 meters.
1.1A person flying a hang-glider.
- Sitting on top of Mam Tor after a dusty, sweaty drive through the dales, watching hang-gliders and paragliders swirl beneath us, feeling fresh wind on the back of our necks
- With the increased use of the Town Park playing fields and the loss of the Valley Floor west of town for political reasons, the festival no longer had a suitable landing zone for hang-gliders.
- I am busy now trying to get my Sport Pilot Examiner appointment, which could benefit tug pilots and hang-gliders as well.
- Example sentences
- How many children, in how many classrooms, over how many centuries, have hang-glided through the past, transported on the wings of these words?
- A 26-year-old Austrian hang-glided into St. Peter's Square on Friday and tried to put up an anti-war banner before police carried him away, police said.
- She learned to hang-glide, to pole-vault, to jump with ease on skateboard and ski.
- Example sentences
- It comes as no surprise that during communism, sports like skydiving and hang-gliding were state-sponsored activities and people were actually paid to fly.
- Getting high-adrenalin kicks in Cumbria could get even tougher if new rules curtailing paragliding and hang-gliding are left on the statute books.
- The microlite flying and power hang-gliding were quite impressive.
Definition of hang-glider in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan