Definition of harangue in English:
A lengthy and aggressive speech: they were subjected to a ten-minute harangue by two border guards
More example sentences
- When he finished his lengthy harangue, everyone left, and Lohia wandered over to the nearest paanwallah to ask if Hanif was out yet.
- Sun boss Scott McNealy gave the DoJ his lengthiest harangue at the company's AGM for stockholders yesterday.
- They forbade ‘political speeches, harangues, or canvassing among the troops.’
tirade, lecture, diatribe, homily, polemic, rant, fulmination, broadside, verbal attack, verbal onslaught, invective;
rare philippic, obloquy
verb[with object] Back to top
Lecture (someone) at length in an aggressive and critical manner: he harangued the public on their ignorance
More example sentences
- When I go to meetings I get harangued by the public about speeding vehicles and by people asking for speed cameras to be installed.
- Ali, however, was on good terms, both with the gatekeepers and the guards, both of whom hailed and harangued him in a friendly manner as he stopped briefly to speak with them.
- As a former SFU undergrad, I enjoyed haranguing you privileged children/right wing ideologues (you all seem so young, you BC Young Liberallies).
- Example sentences
- Instead it's always the ‘political’ ones that get the camera, the haranguers and culture-warriors with the blarney touch, able to motivate viewers' emotions with their words.
- Yes, he's a well-compensated good soldier, but that hardly seems to hinder half of this league's haranguers, so give the man his props.
- Picasso responds that he is not sure what such a picture would look like, at which point his haranguer takes a photo of his wife from his wallet and says, ‘‘There, you see, that is a picture of how she really is’.’
Words that rhyme with haranguebang, Battambang, bhang, clang, Da Nang, dang, fang, gang, hang, kiang, Kuomintang, Kweiyang, Laing, Luang Prabang, meringue, Nanchang, Pahang, pang, parang, Penang, prang, Pyongyang, rang, sang, satang, Shang, shebang, Shenyang, slambang, slang, spang, sprang, Sturm und Drang, tang, thang, trepang, twang, vang, whang, Xizang, yang, Zaozhuang
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia