Definition of hardy perennial in English:
1A perennial plant which can survive in open ground all year.
- Columbines are a very hardy perennial and will thrive in all zones in the United States, as well as in temperate areas in other parts of the world.
- Even hardy perennials, trees, and shrubs cannot tolerate completely frozen roots.
- As soon as the snow melts (and sometimes even earlier) these hardy perennials spring into action.
2British informal A thing that recurs continually or at regular intervals: quiz shows, those hardy perennials of TV and radio
More example sentences
- This topic has become a hardy perennial amongst the Boyz, and has generated much heated commentary.
- One thing that the Olympics have always provided is that hardy perennial known as the ‘feel-good story.’
- There is also that hardy perennial of Labour's own selection battles, and McLeish is going to have to handle some unpleasant skirmishes in the run-up to May 2003.
Definition of hardy perennial in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan