(also hart's tongue fern)
A common European fern whose long, narrow undivided fronds are said to resemble the tongues of deer.
- Phyllitis (or Asplenium) scolopendrium, family Aspleniaceae
More example sentences
- This result agrees with their suggestion that drought during the spring unfurling period would be most detrimental to hart's tongue ferns, arresting the development of new fronds.
- During years with many very wet months understory growth may be too dense, thereby suppressing the growth of hart's tongue ferns due to very low light levels beneath a dense herbaceous layer.
- American hart's tongue fern fronds unfurl early in the spring, achieving much of their yearly growth before canopy closure.
Definition of hart's tongue in:
- The US English dictionary