1The gathering in of the final part of the year’s harvest.
- The cumbrous wain, bearing the last load, has been seen rocking across the furrowed field and to joyous shouts of "Harvest Home" it has been safely borne to the now overflowing barn or swelling stack-yard.
- There is evidence that in the past, frumenty was eaten at secular feasts, in celebration of harvest home, for instance.
- Indeed, to celebrate harvest home a festive crowdie could be made with cream and sugar.
1.1A festival marking the end of the harvest period.
- Despite the bad publicity generated by Thomas Tryons novel, Harvest Home is the pleasantest of holidays. Admittedly, it does involve the concept of sacrifice, but one that is symbolic only.
- We had a really good weekend when we went to the Harvest Home festival at the Totara Estate a little south of Oamaru.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: har|vest home
Definition of harvest home in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.