- A minute mite whose parasitic larvae live on or under the skin of warm-blooded animals where they cause irritation and dermatitis, and sometimes transmit scrub typhus.
More example sentences
- Genus Trombicula, family Trombiculidae: many species, including the European T. autumnalis, which is common at harvest time
- Chigger bites are caused by the harvest mite or red bug, which commonly is found in grasslands of the southeastern United States.
- Due to the soil in this area, harvest mite infestations are a particular problem locally.
- Chiggers, the larvae of harvest mites, transmit the organism that causes scrub typhus.
More definitions of harvest miteDefinition of harvest mite in:
- The US English dictionary