- 1A word or phrase preceded by a hash sign (#), used on social media sites such as Twitter to identify messages on a specific topic: spammers often broadcast tweets with popular hashtags even if the tweet has nothing to do with them the hashtag #riotcleanup is being used by community members to coordinate some post-riot street-cleaningMore example sentences
- Hash tags have become indices of popularity.
- However, hashtag use was significantly higher among spammers.
- Tony Hirst with the UK's Open University has a great tutorial on how to create a (tag or) word cloud based on a hashtag feed from Twitter.
- 1.1The hash sign (#): Hunt mistook an @ for a hashtag while tweeting derogatory thoughts about himMore example sentences
- These chats are all identified by a hashtag (#) that allows you to easily find and track a key word or topic that other educators are tweeting about.
- The hash tag, or pound sign, before a word allows multiple users that aren't normally connected to instantly follow a specific term they are interested in.
- In order to make posts easier for users to search for, tweets can include a hashtag, or pound symbol.
More definitions of hashtagDefinition of hashtag in:
- The US English dictionary