Definition of hatchet in English:
A small axe with a short handle for use in one hand.
- A long handle version is about 36 inches long; a short handle, like a hatchet, is 16 to 20 inches.
- A 19-YEAR-OLD was chased to his home by a 25-year-old man carrying a hatchet and a knife, Limerick Circuit Court heard yesterday.
- On his left hung some long axes, some double edged and still others were hand axes, hatchets.
bury the hatchet
- End a quarrel or conflict and become friendly.[in allusion to an American Indian custom]Example sentences
- Sounds like the hatchet has been well and truly buried - the question, though, is between whose shoulder blades?
- It is time for the IHF and the coach to bury their hatchets and make their peace with Dhanraj Pillai.
- That means that Dainty must find a more congenial way to bury all hatchets and bring all disputing parties to the same table; if he cannot or will not do that, his days of leadership of US cricket would seem to be numbered.