noun (plural same or hawkfishes)
- A small tropical marine fish found chiefly in the Indo-Pacific region. It typically lives in shallow water and adopts a distinctive perching or ‘hovering’ position just above coral.
More example sentences
- Family Cirrhitidae: three genera and several species
- We noticed hawkfish, blennies, gobies and a variety of crustaceans, often camouflaged with bits of sponge and soft coral for protection.
- Hidden in one sea fan I spotted an old favourite, the long-nosed hawkfish.
- A hawkfish was lying motionless in a spot with a good overview.
More definitions of hawkfishDefinition of hawkfish in:
- The US English dictionary