A thorny shrub or tree of the rose family, with white, pink, or red blossom and small dark red fruits (haws). Native to north temperate regions, it is commonly used for hedging in Britain. Also called may1, quickthorn, whitethorn.
- Genus Crataegus, family Rosaceae: many species, in particular the European common hawthorn (C. monogyna)
More example sentences
- There are silver birch trees, hawthorn, field maple and guelder rose at the woodland edge.
- In the distance you can see a number of rambling, overgrown hawthorns with a tree growing through them.
- This medicinal herb comes from the leaves and fruit of the hawthorn tree, found throughout Europe.
Definition of hawthorn in:
- The US English dictionary