Definition of haymaker in English:
1A person who is involved in making hay, especially one who tosses and spreads it to dry after mowing.
- Nowhere have so many muscular and healthy bodies been put on display, so many entwined haymakers and tractor drivers, workers and peasants, strong men and women.
- There was little visible sign even of agricultural activity, apart from glimpses of haymakers scything by hand.
- The drinks, in the form of ale, were taken by five haymakers who last summer spent 13 days mowing five acres of grassland in the park.
2 informal A forceful blow: he caught him on the side of the head with a stinging haymaker
More example sentences
- He threw a monster left jab, which I deflected, then I countered with my hardest haymaker to his face.
- Whether it's a jab or a haymaker, we have to throw the first blow.
- His opponent spent the entire round throwing haymakers after haymakers only to hit nothing but wind.
Words that rhyme with haymakerplaymaker
Definition of haymaker in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan