1A fan or performer of heavy metal music.
- Too hard for popsters, too twisted for arena-rock headbangers and too subversive for all but the most open-minded listeners, they dealt with taboo subjects with a bizarre wit and hard-rocking drive.
- It may sound like faint praise, but the band's ability to make plainly dyspeptic headbangers that really bang is no small feat at a time when powerful popular dissent and effective mainstream rock are both in such short supply.
- Although my own short-lived nu metal days were finished by the time I turned 16, it was obvious to anyone in attendance that these guys would stand out in a field of sound-alike headbangers.
2A mad or eccentric person: he was either a business genius or a complete headbanger
More example sentences
- ‘I've always thought you would have to be a complete headbanger as a woman to want periods,’ suggests Baird.
- My side is taking a long view that the longer this goes on the better, in the hope that the headbangers wake up to the reality.
- Earlier this month, we reported how there was confusion over the resource accounting budget - an issue that few others have bothered to even investigate, preferring instead to listen to the headbangers in the Scottish Parliament.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: head|bang¦er
Definition of headbanger in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.