Definition of header in English:
1 Soccer A shot or pass made with the head.
- Neuville flashes in fabulous cross but Klose - who's scored all five of his World Cup goals from headers - somehow hits the post from about five yards with - you've guessed it - his head.
- Ellison's goal-bound shot was well saved by Wilson, who then tipped over a stoppage-time header from Danny Collins.
- The keeper saved his header from a free kick, while another shot fizzed just past the post.
2 informal A headlong fall or dive.
- Its also pretty fun to see the boss take a header and spill soda all over himself
- The first time the tot does a header into the wall, you want to die.
- She nearly took a header down the stairs, but managed to regain her balance, grabbing the railing in her hand and making sure to pay more attention now.
3A brick or stone laid at right angles to the face of a wall. Compare with stretcher (sense 4) of the noun).
- The water flowed across an active oxidation area to wet the stone header over the top of the window opening, before pooling on the drywall soffit at the head of the window below.
- The bricks are laid in alternate pairs of headers and stretchers.
- The first visible layer or course consists almost entirely of marble slabs laid as headers that span the entire thickness of the wall.
4A line or block of text appearing at the top of each page of a book or document. Compare with footer1 (sense 3).
- One way to achieve this look is to create new paragraphs every few sentences and to interrupt long blocks of text with headers, bullet points or photos.
- And running headers on each recto page in the catalogue sections could have supplied window numbers.
- Organize information in a way that it would make sense to algorithms (using keyword rich page titles, headers and subheaders).
4.1The part of an email before the message, containing information such as the subject and sender: every email message needs a header indicating the sender’s identity and address Compare with body (sense 3) of the noun).
More example sentences
- In your e-mail header, include something unique to the recipient that's therefore unlikely to be in a spam message.
- Most email tools scan the header of an email to see if the sender is spoofing.
- A closer look at the e-mails' header information shows all the messages come from compromised Yahoo accounts.
5 (also header tank) A raised tank of water maintaining pressure in a plumbing system.
- The purifiers that stopped water entering the service tank from the header tank were working, so the contamination must have come from somewhere else.
- Repairs were carried out to the header tank, the plumbing, the electrics and the ceiling and the pub re-opened without a hitch on Friday.
- The coolant in the radiator header tank should have a mix of water and anti-freeze, typically 50 / 50.
Words that rhyme with headerbedder, cheddar, Edda, Enzedder, Kedah, shedder, shredder, spreader, tedder, threader, treader, Vedda
Definition of header in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan