- A tributary stream of a river close to or forming part of its source: these paths follow rivers right up into their headwaters [as modifier]: headwater erosionMore example sentences
- Swindon's location, so close to the headwaters of the River Thames, does not sit well with the normal sewage treatment works programme that allows some dilution effect to deal with pollution.
- Rather than gushing down a lush mountainside, the headwaters of the river seen in The Source puddle prosaically beside a suburban high school.
- Upland valleys and the headwaters of fast-flowing rivers descend to the coast through some of the world's largest swamps.
More definitions of headwaterDefinition of headwater in:
- The US English dictionary