- 1 [mass noun] (usually in phrase make headway) Forward movement or progress, especially when this is slow or difficult: the ship was making very little headway against heavy seas they appear to be making headway in bringing the rebels under controlMore example sentences
- Coalition forces are making headway in their battle against oil well fires.
- ‘The good news is we are making headway in many parts of the country,’ he will declare.
- For all its warts, Montreal is making headway in the sustainable architecture crusade.
- 2The average interval between trains or buses on a regular service: a six-minute headwayMore example sentences
- The company also extended the train headway from three to six minutes during this period.
- Instead of speed, other countries should try instead to emulate the Shinkansen's remarkable frequency of train headway.