- Causing overwhelming distress; very upsetting: it would be heartbreaking to see it all collapseMore example sentences
- It's tragic and heartbreaking, but it should not be considered a point of debate.
- Speaking as a father of a young son and a daughter, I find this heartbreaking and tragic.
- It was so heartbreaking to see lots of people traumatised by the war and living in bombed out buildings.
- [as submodifier]: the children’s expectations were heartbreakingly wrongMore example sentences
- Both jobs offer all the possibilities in the world, including fame, success, travel and personal achievement, but things can also go terribly, heartbreakingly wrong if the young hopefuls are rejected.
- An apologia, even when desperately, heartbreakingly wrong, is a sort of bridge between evil and good, an acknowledgement that there is something here that needs explaining.
- Every word of this story was heartbreakingly true, and it pains me to think that all the terrible things I saw happening there during my four years of high school didn't magically cease to occur after I graduated and went to college.