- Indeed, we've come a long way from the ‘responsibility era’ that Junior has been hectoring us about for the last four years.
- But the guy continued hectoring me to watch more episodes so that I might become enlightened and see the error of my ways.
- Fair enough - if listening to him hectoring us about scarce resources and carbon emissions is what it takes to conserve the planet then it's a price worth paying.
late Middle English: from the Trojan warrior Hector. Originally denoting a hero, the sense later became 'braggart or bully' (applied in the late 17th century to a member of a gang of London youths), hence 'talk to in a bullying way'.
- Example sentences
- His message - the persistence and evolving continuity of life - is hardly profound, yet it hectoringly pervades four volumes totalling over two thousand pages.
- But for the most part the tone of the works on show alternates between the hectoringly political and the philosophically profound.
- The treatment is well-judged, pointed but never hectoringly didactic, in a screenplay by the director's brother.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Definition of hector in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.