noun(the heebie-jeebies) • informal
- A state of nervous fear or anxiety: it takes a lot more than a measly poltergeist to give me the heebie-jeebiesMore example sentences
- I still get the heebie-jeebies, of course, but that's because my reputation is on the line.
- It gives you the heebie-jeebies because he's not crazy; he's probably like a lot of regular people you see, interact with and never really think about.
- I didn't, in this case, because the guy had already given me the heebie-jeebies, but pretty much any other time that's my reaction.
1920s (originally US): of unknown origin.
More definitions of heebie-jeebiesDefinition of heebie-jeebies in:
- The US English dictionary