- The rising of a celestial object at the same time as the sun, or its first visible rising after a period of invisibility due to conjunction with the sun. The last setting before such a period is the heliacal setting.More example sentences
- The result of this was that the dates of the heliacal rising of Sirius and the flooding of the Nile shifted through the months on a cycle that took 1,461 years to complete.
- During the period of the development of the calendar, the heliacal rising of Sirius coincided with the summer solstice, both of which announced the annual inundation of the Nile, the central focus of the agricultural year.
- As Venus moves ahead of the Sun, she eventually becomes visible again in the east, in her heliacal rising shortly before sunrise.
More definitions of heliacal risingDefinition of heliacal rising in:
- The US English dictionary