Definition of heliotrope in English:
1A plant of the borage family, cultivated for its fragrant purple or blue flowers which are used in perfume.
- Genus Heliotropium, family Boraginaceae
- She inhaled the scents of dust, orange oil, and the perfume the heliotropes sent throughout the room.
- The lush, fragrant flowers of the heliotrope range from dark violet to white in color.
- A member of the borage family, common heliotrope is one of about 250 Heliotropium species, but it is the only one widely grown in gardens.
1.1 [mass noun] A light purple colour, similar to that of heliotrope flowers.
- Only then did they turn to color, using purples like heliotrope and verbena to complement the flax, and soft apricots for gentle contrast.
- To the right, a shoal of rocks whose faceted surfaces are painted pink, heliotrope and gray resembles a hand-rendered version of a computer-generated landscape.
Definition of heliotrope in:
- US English dictionary