Definition of heliotrope in English:
1A plant of the borage family, cultivated for its fragrant purple or blue flowers which are used in perfume.
- Genus Heliotropium, family Boraginaceae
- She inhaled the scents of dust, orange oil, and the perfume the heliotropes sent throughout the room.
- The lush, fragrant flowers of the heliotrope range from dark violet to white in color.
- A member of the borage family, common heliotrope is one of about 250 Heliotropium species, but it is the only one widely grown in gardens.
1.1 [mass noun] A light purple colour, similar to that of heliotrope flowers.
- Only then did they turn to color, using purples like heliotrope and verbena to complement the flax, and soft apricots for gentle contrast.
- To the right, a shoal of rocks whose faceted surfaces are painted pink, heliotrope and gray resembles a hand-rendered version of a computer-generated landscape.
Definition of heliotrope in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan