Definition of helmet in English:
1A hard or padded protective hat, various types of which are worn by soldiers, police officers, motorcyclists, sports players, and others.
- Some hard hats and helmets have a face shield attached to them.
- Combat-equipped soldiers and police wearing helmets and flak jackets are going door to door in the city to enforce a mandatory evacuation at the point of a gun.
- Baseball helmets routinely protect players who are hit in the head at speeds that are roughly similar to a slap shot.
3 (also helmet shell) A predatory mollusc with a squat heavy shell, which lives in tropical and temperate seas.
- Family Cassidae, class Gastropoda
- Shell cameos had been popular in the sixteenth century, but it was in the nineteenth century that the art flourished, with the helmet shell and the queen conch shell judged the most suitable for cameo carving.
- One diagram of helmets shows a simple, radially symmetrical ancestral helmet at the bottom.
- Example sentences
- In the midst of this incredible natural creation, I am suddenly immersed in a blue fog of polluting fumes, surrounded by loud snarling beasts whose riders, black-suited and helmeted, all look like Darth Vader.
- To the surprise of the women, eying him warily, this hunk, looking more macho than all the others, slowed down almost to a stop, and with a little not of his full helmeted head, made a graceful sweep of his right hand.
- It also includes a photograph of two black men, one shirtless, calmly leaning against their automobile as helmeted patrol officers briskly frisk them for weapons.
Definition of helmet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia