- Any of a class of substances which occur as constituents of the cell walls of plants and are polysaccharides of simpler structure than cellulose: [mass noun]: the dry seeds contain a substance called hemicelluloseMore example sentences
- Plant cell walls are composed primarily of cellulose microfibrils, hemicelluloses, pectic polysaccharides, and small amounts of structural proteins.
- Dietary fibre consists of plant material such as cellulose, hemicellulose, pectin, polysaccharides, gums, mucilage and lignin.
- Pectins and hemicelluloses, two of the major cell wall components, undergo solubilization and depolymerization.
More definitions of hemicelluloseDefinition of hemicellulose in:
- The US English dictionary