Definition of hemp in English:
1 (also Indian hemp) [mass noun] The cannabis plant, especially when grown for fibre.
- It's part of a long-running battle to get the Government to relax the restrictions on growing hemp for food and fibre.
- They'd already experimented with less common cereal crops and discovered that hemp, once traditionally grown in the area, thrived in the warm, wet climate of the southwest.
- The only unfortunate thing is that hemp has to be grown to see its cannabinoid component, and it then needs to be tested to see whether it exceeds 0.3 percent.
1.1The fibre of the cannabis plant, extracted from the stem and used to make rope, strong fabrics, fibreboard, and paper.
- As a fabric, hemp is sturdy, strong and comfortable.
- It was damnably uncomfortable, having a lump on one's head the size of a fist and tied with strong hemp rope.
- Trombly points out that the strong fiber produced by hemp and kenaf blends well with the weaker post-consumer recycled paper.
1.3The drug cannabis.
- According to rules laid down by the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, opium, heroin, morphine, hemp, cocaine and other addictive narcotics are banned.
- Subsequently, the Commission's conclusion was that the physical, moral and mental effects of hemp drugs, if used in moderation, were not adverse.
- Habit-forming and hard-to-kick addictions such as overindulgence in alcohol, heroin, hemp, Ecstasy, and an almost limitless palette of hard drugs should be avoided like the plague.
hempen adjective ( archaic )
- Example sentences
- The only award they both deserve is a length of hempen rope and tall tree - are there still spikes on the Palace of Westminster where traitors' heads can be displayed?
- Aristocratic criminals were privileged to meet their deaths by the sword rather than the disgraceful hempen rope; gentlemen settled their differences and answered insults at swords' point.
- Unreckonable moments had passed, and he awoke to discover that he lay prone upon a hard, flat surface and that he was restrained once more with thick, hempen ropes.
Definition of hemp in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan