Definition of hemstitch in English:
A decorative stitch used especially alongside a hem, in which several adjacent threads are pulled out and the crossing threads are tied into bunches, making a row of small openings.
- A twin hemstitch needle is also available with one wing and one universal shaft.
- Maria speaks flawless English and I always feel an old fashioned lady-of-the-house pride in sorting out with her flower and hemstitch patterns.
verb[with object] Back to top
Incorporate a hemstitch in the hem of (a piece of cloth or clothing): we hemstitched all the tablecloths
More example sentences
- In its basic form, the classic cocktail napkin is a small, hemstitched square of linen or cotton.
- It's as if 100 years later the profession had finally the opportunity to wrestle itself away from its association with ‘hemstitching’ work that isn't skillful, just plain old women's work.
- Sharp's use of testimony attesting that library science be distinguished from hemstitching helps us understand attitudes about women's work in the nineteenth century.
Words that rhyme with hemstitchostrich • backstitch
Definition of hemstitch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.