Definition of hemstitch in English:
A decorative stitch used especially alongside a hem, in which several adjacent threads are pulled out and the crossing threads are tied into bunches, making a row of small openings.
- A twin hemstitch needle is also available with one wing and one universal shaft.
- Maria speaks flawless English and I always feel an old fashioned lady-of-the-house pride in sorting out with her flower and hemstitch patterns.
verb[with object] Back to top
Incorporate a hemstitch in the hem of (a piece of cloth or clothing): we hemstitched all the tablecloths
More example sentences
- In its basic form, the classic cocktail napkin is a small, hemstitched square of linen or cotton.
- It's as if 100 years later the profession had finally the opportunity to wrestle itself away from its association with ‘hemstitching’ work that isn't skillful, just plain old women's work.
- Sharp's use of testimony attesting that library science be distinguished from hemstitching helps us understand attitudes about women's work in the nineteenth century.
Definition of hemstitch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia