Definition of hendecasyllable in English:
A line of verse containing eleven syllables.
- His hendecasyllables are both a tribute to Catullus and an interpretation of one aspect of his poetry.
- If I had tried to keep up the hendecasyllable meter I probably would have gone insane.
- He accepted the dodecasyllable and hendecasyllable verse forms from the very beginning, and basically never abandoned them.
- Example sentences
- His sixty-four lines of rhyming hendecasyllabic couplets are juxtaposed with a considerably briefer fifty-three lines of English free verse.
- The classical hendecasyllabic meter chosen for this lyric melodiously prompts us to seek ancient mythic analogues.
- The most outstanding of the Catalan translators was Josep Maria de Sagarra, who, starting in the 1940s, translated 27 plays into Catalan hendecasyllabic lines.
Definition of hendecasyllable in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan