Definition of henequen in English:
1A fibre resembling sisal, which is chiefly used for binder twine and paper pulp.
- Most in this area produced henequen, an agave fibre that we know under the name ‘sisal’ and which the Mexicans nicknamed ‘green gold’.
- Baskets, mats, and hammocks are woven from plant fibers such as henequen.
- He is the author of ‘The Green Republic: A Conservation History of Costa Rica,’ and is completing a manuscript on the history and ecology of the Yucatan henequen industry.
2A Central American agave from which henequen is obtained.
- Agave fourcroydes, family Agavaceae
- Potential sources being tested include soy, hemp, ramie, kenaf stems, pineapple and henequen leaves, and banana stems.
- They labored on vast tobacco, sugarcane, and henequen plantations, in virtual slavery enforced by their continuing debt to the landowners.
early 17th century: from Spanish jeniquen, from a local word.
Definition of henequen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan