noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A compound occurring in the liver and other tissues which inhibits blood coagulation. A sulphur-containing polysaccharide, it is used as an anticoagulant in the treatment of thrombosis.More example sentences
- Blood was collected from untreated albino mice using heparin as the anticoagulant.
- The common treatment for thrombotic episodes is an oral anticoagulant and/or heparin.
- The drug is based on the natural anticoagulant heparin.
early 20th century: via late Latin from Greek hēpar 'liver' + -in1.
More definitions of heparinDefinition of heparin in:
- The US English dictionary