Definition of herbal in English:
Relating to or made from herbs, especially those used in cooking and medicine: herbal remedies
More example sentences
- Some traditional medical practitioners use herbal medicines and set broken bones.
- Do no take this herb or other herbal remedies without first speaking to your health provider.
- Trials of many Chinese herbal medicines for the treatment of HIV infection and cancer are currently under way.
nounBack to top
A book that describes herbs and their culinary and medicinal properties.
- Varro E. Tyler became dismayed by the proliferation of ‘inaccurate and deceptive information’ and wrote the first edition of The Honest Herbal in 1982 for the general public.
- Hitherto, evidence of the crops grown in medieval times has come from the analysis of charred and waterlogged remains from excavations, occasional herbarium specimens, descriptions in herbals and botanical inference.
- Modern herbals give it no medicinal value, but traditionally it was valued for healing wounds.
- Example sentences
- All menstrual irregularities should be treated herbally for at least three months to accommodate the alternating between the right and left ovary.
- While the 1999 introduction of Ben & Jerry's herbally-enhanced Smoothies line was reportedly less than successful, the company has not given up on good-for-you products.
- Further, we argued that the species that comprised an herbally based ethnomedical system must be commonly known, widely available, and easily accessible if such a system is to continue to function effectively.
Definition of herbal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan