- Relating to or made from herbs, especially those used in cooking and medicine: herbal remediesMore example sentences
- Some traditional medical practitioners use herbal medicines and set broken bones.
- Do no take this herb or other herbal remedies without first speaking to your health provider.
- Trials of many Chinese herbal medicines for the treatment of HIV infection and cancer are currently under way.
nounBack to top
- A book that describes herbs and their culinary and medicinal properties.More example sentences
- Varro E. Tyler became dismayed by the proliferation of ‘inaccurate and deceptive information’ and wrote the first edition of The Honest Herbal in 1982 for the general public.
- Hitherto, evidence of the crops grown in medieval times has come from the analysis of charred and waterlogged remains from excavations, occasional herbarium specimens, descriptions in herbals and botanical inference.
- Modern herbals give it no medicinal value, but traditionally it was valued for healing wounds.
- More example sentences
- All menstrual irregularities should be treated herbally for at least three months to accommodate the alternating between the right and left ovary.
- While the 1999 introduction of Ben & Jerry's herbally-enhanced Smoothies line was reportedly less than successful, the company has not given up on good-for-you products.
- Further, we argued that the species that comprised an herbally based ethnomedical system must be commonly known, widely available, and easily accessible if such a system is to continue to function effectively.
early 16th century (as a noun): from medieval Latin herbalis (adjective), from Latin herba 'grass, herb'.
More definitions of herbalDefinition of herbal in:
- The US English dictionary