noun[mass noun] Zoology
The reptiles and amphibians of a particular region, habitat, or geological period.
More example sentences
- Therefore, the Hudson River population of Necturus is not unique among the aquatic herpetofauna.
- In areas like savannas, where the scrub jays are in close proximity to suburban habitats, house cats are important predators of many bird species as well as herpetofauna.
- The book also includes several studies on lesser-known animals - birds, herpetofauna and fishes - many of which have yet to be identified by science.
modern Latin, from Greek herpeton 'creeping thing, reptile' + fauna.
- More example sentences
- In 1997 and 1998, a herpetofaunal survey was conducted in conjunction with the Binational Expedition.
- Thus far we have made great progress in our herpetofaunal surveys of the Southeast Coastal Network Parks.
- Unlike calling frog and toad surveys, this method samples the entire herpetofaunal community, not just those that are vocal.
Definition of herpetofauna in:
- The US English dictionary