- (Of a fish’s tail) having unequal upper and lower lobes, usually with the vertebral column passing into the upper. Contrasted with diphycercal, homocercal.More example sentences
- The tail is heterocercal, with the upper lobe containing long, thread-like filaments.
- The body shows well-developed paired lateral fins (presumably true pectoral fins), indicating good stability, dorsal and anal fins, and a heterocercal tail (the lower lobe of the tail is elongated).
- The sturgeon heterocercal tail is extremely flexible and the upper tail lobe trails the lower during the fin beat cycle.
mid 19th century: from hetero- 'other' + Greek kerkos 'tail'.
More definitions of heterocercalDefinition of heterocercal in:
- The US English dictionary