- 2 Botany A state in which the flowers of a plant are of two or more types. Compare with homogamy ( sense 2).
- 2.1 another term for anisogamy.
- 3Marriage between people from different sociological or educational backgrounds. Compare with homogamy ( sense 1).More example sentences
- An examination of the relative social positions of spouses shows that heterogamy, the marriage of people from different social backgrounds, was not characteristic after World War II either.
- However, it definitely does not support the hypothesis of decreasing barriers to inter-class heterogamy over time.
- The three barriers to heterogamy are described by inheritance, sectoral, and hierarchy parameters.
- More example sentences
- The most heterogamous were the sons of skilled workers and unskilled workers.
- Based on the presence or absence of fertile stamens and fertile pistils, the heads can be further classified into heterogamous and homogamous capitula.
- The practical upshot in your case is that your children will be much more likely to be heterogamous themselves.
More definitions of heterogamyDefinition of heterogamy in:
- The US English dictionary