- technical term for hybrid vigour.More example sentences
- With overdominance, unlike alleles are postulated to result in a stimulating effect, so that genetic heterozygosity per se produces heterosis.
- Genetic background, heterosis, and sex differences can all have profound effects on chiasma and recombination frequencies.
- The fundamental genetic and physiological causes of heterosis remain poorly understood in plants after nearly a century of exploitation in crop improvement.
early 20th century: from Greek heterōsis 'alteration', from heteros 'other'.
More definitions of heterosisDefinition of heterosis in:
- The US English dictionary