Definition of heterostyly in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
The condition (e.g. in primroses) of having styles of different lengths relative to the stamens in the flowers of different individual plants, to reduce self-fertilization.
- Flowering plants have several mechanisms that have evolved to prevent self-fertilization, e.g. self-incompatibility systems, heterostyly and dichogamy.
- Although gender specialization is not a regular feature of heterostyly, reproductive differences between morphs has been reported for most studied distylous species.
- Darwin's correlation between the phenotype and the cross-compatibility of the two forms of flower provided the foundation for subsequent analyses of heterostyly in Primula.
- Example sentences
- Field observations confirmed that the species is heterostylous with the pistil and anthers exhibiting reciprocal heights in the two morphs, although pollen size and sculpturing do not vary.
- Pentanisia appears to exhibit dimorphisms typically associated with heterostylous plants.
- Both F. jinshaense and F. gilesii are self-incompatible with heterostylous flowers and are diploid.
Definition of heterostyly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan