Definition of heterotic in English:
1 Biology Relating to hybrid vigour (heterosis).
- These two strains are quite divergent for various qualitative and quantitative traits and produce highly heterotic hybrids when they are crossed and are being used as parental strains to construct the mapping population.
- It was concluded that heterozygotes were not necessarily advantageous for trait performance even among genotypes derived from such a highly heterotic hybrid.
- If modulation of the GA level is the underlying basis of heterosis, then the d1 / d1 hybrids should experience little or no heterotic response relative to d1 / d1 inbreds.
2 Physics Relating to a theory of cosmic strings combining elements of two earlier models.
- The most studied superstring compactification is heterotic string theory compactified on a Calabi-Yau space in six-dimensions (or three complex dimensions).
- These two types of closed string modes are called right-movers and left-movers, and this difference will be important later in the supersymmetric heterotic string theory.
- These theories are called heterotic superstring theories.
Definition of heterotic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia