A plane figure with six straight sides and angles.
More example sentences
- The design radiates symmetrically from a central point and is constructed from a pattern of circles, equilateral triangles, squares, hexagons and/or six-pointed stars.
- For example, 10 carbon atoms can be arranged into two conjoined hexagons, each hexagon sharing two carbon atoms with the other.
- Carbon atoms are linked into hexagons, and the hexagonal pattern makes up the walls of a cylinder only nanometers wide.
late 16th century: via late Latin from Greek hexagōnon, neuter (used as a noun) of hexagōnos 'six-angled'.
- More example sentences
- It could be triangular; it could be quadrangular, pentagonal, hexagonal, heptagonal, octagonal, spherical, etc.
- Its curious name derives from that of the US architect Richard Buckminster Fuller, who pioneered the geodesic dome made from hexagonal and pentagonal facets.
- The most famous is buckminsterfullerene, discovered in 1985, which is made up of 60 carbon atoms arranged in 12 pentagonal rings and 20 hexagonal rings.
Definition of hexagon in:
- The US English dictionary