- 1Writing consisting of hieroglyphs: without the Rosetta Stone, it is likely that Egyptian hieroglyphics would still be a mysteryMore example sentences
- But of course the great intellectual barrier that Champollion had to overcome was this long-held assumption that hieroglyphics were just picture writing.
- Ancient Egyptians developed a pictographic and ideographic writing system known as hieroglyphics.
- Some think that since the Egyptians were such a close, rigid society that they invented the form of writing called hieroglyphics, but that is simply not true.
- 1.1Enigmatic or incomprehensible symbols or writing: notebooks filled with illegible hieroglyphicsMore example sentences
- I had aced the course in high school, so what were these hieroglyphics that the professor scribbled on the blackboard with such gusto?
- He accessed the file - unreadable junk, nothing but hieroglyphics and squiggles on the screen.
- There was much furtive whispering and glancing in my direction - who is this strange lao wai, with two cameras and writing strange hieroglyphics in his little notebook?
adjectiveBack to top
- 1Of or written in hieroglyphs: hieroglyphic script a hieroglyphic signMore example sentences
- Examining texts brought from Egypt, he began to identify a relationship between hieroglyphic and non-hieroglyphic scripts.
- Today, brilliant work by a small band of epigraphers, has resulted in Maya hieroglyphic texts - once dismissed as indecipherable - becoming understood well enough to yield some narrative history.
- Then, in 1799 near the town of Rosetta, a French explorer found a 2,000-year-old stone slab that had extensive hieroglyphic inscriptions and a perfect Greek translation beneath it.
- 1.1Of the nature of a hieroglyph; symbolic or enigmatic.More example sentences
- In the late 1930s and early '40s, Loren MacIver developed a sweet, playful style that superimposed linear, symbolic and hieroglyphic forms on soft, pale washes of color.
- Frosted light from lanterns, images of dragons, porcelain figurines, and banners with hieroglyphic messages, enhanced the decor of the restaurant, while soft and relaxing music played gently in the background.
- Like the indigenous tribes of Latin America or Africa I was using art as a hieroglyphic language, a language capable of transcending all the borders and cultural differences.
- More example sentences
- Phase's work became ever more complex and grew further and further away from its original simple signature towards a hieroglyphical calligraphic abstraction.
- The learned adhere closely to their hieroglyphical writing, representing every word by its corresponding picture.
- It has been said that of the component elements of his hieroglyphical name, Isis is the first, and that the name Osiris really signifies the ‘Eye of Isis.’
- More example sentences
- They documented the Nile's central role hieroglyphically on many monuments and tomb murals, symbolizing it in the form of a grape vine.
- Rameses the Second got that pact engraved hieroglyphically on the walls of the Temple of Karnack.
- At Luxor, Amun's wife, Mut, was hieroglyphically depicted as a vulturess or as a human with a vulture head.
late 16th century: from French hiéroglyphique, from Greek hierogluphikos, from hieros 'sacred' + gluphē 'carving'.