Definition of high priest in English:
1The chief priest of the historic Jewish religion.
- It was the only day in the Jewish calendar when the high priest could enter the innermost room of the temple - the most holy place.
- The two main characters involved in Jesus's death are Pontius Pilate, the Roman governor, and Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest.
- Jerusalem itself was governed by the Jewish high priest, who was responsible to a Roman prefect.
1.1The head of a religious cult or similar group.
- The Druids, the high priests of the Celts, spent twenty years learning the traditions and oral lessons.
- For support, Alonso relied on his family and, increasingly, on his babalawo, or Santerian high priest.
- According to Chief Obadio, the high priest of Oduduwa in Ife, human sacrifice was offered to the deity in the past.
1.2The chief advocate or proponent of a particular belief or practice: the high priest of surrealism
More example sentences
- But who could have foreseen that the man once known as the high priest of UK drugs culture would team up with the singer from the ultimate Scottish teenybop band?
- As Pierre Boulez turns 80, some of the world's greatest composers give their verdict on the high priest of modernism
- Kerr, the former 20-a-day man, is the high priest of this new ideology.
Definition of high priest in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.