noun (plural same or Hiligaynons)
1A member of a people inhabiting Panay, Negros, and other islands in the central Philippines.
- The Hiligaynon, like all Filipinos, enjoy watching television and going to the movies.
- Visayas, especially Hiligaynons, now comprise the majority of people living within the province.
- These are also part of our cultural heritage as Hiligaynons like the churches, old houses, old establishments, cemetery capillas, historical sites, etc.
2 [mass noun] The Austronesian language of the Hiligaynon, with about 5 million speakers. Also called Ilonggo.
- Other regions of Panay have their own distinct speech forms, but these are mutually intelligible with Hiligaynon.
- Half of the children were taught completely in English for four grades while other children were taught first for two years in Hiligaynon.
Relating to the Hiligaynon or their language.
- The Hiligaynon language is the language of Iloilo province, which has come to be spoken throughout the Western Visayas region.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Hili|gay¦non
Definition of Hiligaynon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.