noun[mass noun] Medicine
Infection by a fungus found in the droppings of birds and bats in humid areas. It is not serious if confined to the lungs but can be fatal if spread throughout the body.
- The fungus is Histoplasma capsulatum
More example sentences
- The fungus that causes histoplasmosis grows in the ground.
- Disseminated histoplasmosis is usually fatal if not diagnosed early and treated rapidly.
- Patients with infections, multiple sclerosis, or exposure to histoplasmosis should also be identified before using infliximab.
Definition of histoplasmosis in:
- The US English dictionary