Used to express boredom or resignation.
- Now I don't need those sights in my head as I prepare to return to work… ho-hum.
- But ho-hum, they can't include everything, and it didn't really bother me.
- If your ho-ho has become ho-hum, try something new this year - with a little imagination, you can always reinvent a reason for the season.
Boring: a ho-hum script
More example sentences
- When we were kids, dinosaurs were ho-hum, like a lot of very old things, but in the last 10 or 20 years there has been a real upsurge in interest.
- Short-but-sweet is better than drawn-out and ho-hum.
- Maybe this is not surprising as the hacks focus on the main game - the federal election this year - and the fact that state politics have become so predictable and ho-hum.
1920s: imitative of a yawn.
Words that rhyme with ho-humbecome, benumb, Brum, bum, chum, crumb, drum, glum, gum, hum, Kara Kum, lum, mum, numb, plum, plumb, Rhum, rhumb, rum, scrum, scum, slum, some, strum, stum, succumb, sum, swum, thrum, thumb, tum, yum-yum
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ho-hum
Definition of ho-hum in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.