Definition of holdfast in English:
1.1A staple or clamp securing an object to a wall or other surface.
- Lattice panels, wires, or rough surfaces give tendrils and holdfasts a place to latch onto.
- Furthermore, the facts that crowns and holdfasts rarely occur attached but that each is preserved with attached incomplete columns, suggest that crowns were broken from their holdfasts prior to burial.
- Crowns commonly have some length of column still attached, and holdfasts, less commonly recognized than crowns, also have some length of column attached.
1.2 Biology A stalked organ by which an alga or other simple aquatic plant or animal is attached to a substrate.
- At the base of the stalk is the holdfast, which cements the alga to the rock and prevents it from being washed away.
- Heavy grazing may damage and weaken the holdfasts which anchor the algae.
- The algae were decapitated, clamped with vice grips at their holdfasts, and secured to the bottom of a unidirectional current tank with an ordinary house brick.
Definition of holdfast in:
- US English dictionary