- A widely distributed evergreen shrub, typically having prickly dark green leaves, small white flowers, and red berries.
More example sentences
- Genus Ilex, family Aquifoliaceae: many species, in particular I. aquifolium
- Both deciduous and evergreen hollies are much loved for their berries, which range in color from orange and red to yellow and black.
- And then there are the usual green plants with red berries such as hollies and barberry, and old garden roses with showy hips.
- Some popular small trees and shrubs with birds are: blueberries, elderberries, hollies, cherries, and dogwoods.
Middle English holi, shortened form of Old English holegn, holen, of Germanic origin; related to German Hulst.
More definitions of hollyDefinition of holly in:
- The US English dictionary