adverbNorth American or • archaic
- All at once: swallowing every proposal that is made holus-bolusMore example sentences
- Ad hoc guidelines developed in response to an epidemic in the United Kingdom more than a decade ago have been implemented holus-bolus against Canadian beef in international markets.
- Ad hoc guidelines developed in response to an outbreak of epidemic proportions in Great Britain have been implemented holus-bolus in response to one sick cow.
- We're certainly not just going to pick up and apply holus-bolus what the Americans have done without ascertaining whether that is something that will work in Australia.
mid 19th century (originally dialect): perhaps pseudo-Latin for 'whole bolus, whole lump'.
More definitions of holus-bolusDefinition of holus-bolus in:
- The US English dictionary