- 1The inner chamber of the sanctuary in the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, separated by a veil from the outer chamber. It was reserved for the presence of God and could be entered only by the High Priest on the Day of Atonement.More example sentences
- What did we read about when we read from the Torah and the prophets on that holy of holies of Jewish time?
- After the priests had established the ark of the covenant in the holy of holies, a cloud filled the Temple, and the glory of God's presence was so powerful that the priests were overwhelmed.
- He went into the temple and ate the bread in the holy of holies, that no person is to touch.
- 1.1A place regarded as most sacred or special: I knocked at the door and was admitted by Ms Brown to the holy of holiesMore example sentences
- Do you have your sacred space, where you build your stuff, your holy of holies?
- For Holmes and Greene, this was an awe-inspiring event - a visit to the holy of holies, the inner sanctum, the behind-the-scenes epicenter of New England mineral collecting.
- She stood for five days in endless queues before managing to enter the holy of holies - the Department of Welfare offices in Deals House.
More definitions of holy of holiesDefinition of holy of holies in:
- The US English dictionary