- (Of a fish’s tail) appearing outwardly symmetrical but with the backbone passing into the upper lobe, as in all higher fish. Contrasted with diphycercal, heterocercal.More example sentences
- The current literature contains several hypotheses about the function of caudal fins of different shapes, and much of this discussion has focused on the difference between heterocercal and homocercal tails.
- Both mammals and reptiles returning to the sea developed quite workable homocercal tails in very short order.
- This caudal fin structure contrasts with the externally symmetrical homocercal morphology present in most teleost fishes such as bluegill sunfish.
More definitions of homocercalDefinition of homocercal in:
- The US English dictionary