Definition of homogamy in English:
1 Biology Inbreeding, especially as a result of isolation.
- Animal and human studies have shown that individuals choose mates partly on the basis of similarity, a tendency referred to as homogamy.
- Another biological factor in mate choice is homogamy, the tendency for like to mate with like.
1.1Marriage between people from similar sociological or educational backgrounds. Compare with heterogamy (sense 3).
- This trend toward educational homogamy, or the tendency for men and women with similar educational achievement to marry each other, is not new, but it has seen slight increases over the past few decades.
- In general, immigrant parents are anxious for their children to marry someone from their own ethnic and religious group, although ethnic homogamy has been decreasing among members of American-born generations.
- If we assume that there is homogamy, this would mean in our case that children of farmers are overrepresented in our sample and the children of unskilled workers are underrepresented.
- Example sentences
- At the start of the period, the most homogamous groups were the sons of farmers, and to a lesser extent those of crofters and farm workers.
- So it's not that these more homogamous relationships are necessarily better, but they're easier.
- Interracial marriage tends to be educationally homogamous and the odds of interracial marriage increase with couples' educational attainment.
Words that rhyme with homogamyendogamy, exogamy, heterogamy, misogamy, monogamy
Definition of homogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.