1Having the same relation, relative position, or structure.
- The Portuguese Society of Plant Physiology, in collaboration with the Spanish homologous society, is organizing the 9th Luso-Spanish Plant Physiology Congress and the 16th Meeting of the Spanish Society of Plant Physiology.
- In certain primal traditions, the maze or labyrinth played a homologous role to that of the sacred wilderness area - in fact, the two may have been indistinguishable.
- The effort, in part, is to determine whether academic institutions are homologous with organizations in other fields.
1.1 Biology (Of organs) similar in position, structure, and evolutionary origin but not necessarily in function: a seal’s flipper is homologous with the human arm Often contrasted with analogous.
More example sentences
- Structures normally found at the nonmutant leaf edge are absent from the affected region of the mutant leaf and leaf homologous organs.
- Adaptationist arguments are essential because they suggest the function of homologous and analogous physiological structures.
- The swim bladder is homologous to the lungs of tetrapods.
1.2 Biology (Of chromosomes) pairing at meiosis and having the same structural features and pattern of genes.
- Pairing is an essential step in organizing and properly distributing homologous chromosomes during meiosis.
- During prophase I of meiosis, homologous chromosomes align, synapse, and cross over.
- Crossing over ensures segregation of homologous chromosomes in meiosis I.
1.3 Chemistry (Of a series of chemical compounds) having the same functional group but differing in composition by a fixed group of atoms.
- Because of these regularities, the members of each group are known as a homologous series.
- Chemically they are classed as alcohols, which are representative of a homologous series.
- Moreover, the level of amino acid sequence divergence between homologous proteins is relatively low, allowing us to gauge the patterns of amino acid substitution.
Mid 17th century: via medieval Latin from Greek homologos 'agreeing, consistent', from homos 'same' + logos 'ratio, proportion'.
Words that rhyme with homologoustautologous
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hom¦olo|gous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.