- 1(Of music) homophonic.More example sentences
- It is a style of traditional homophonous singing.
- Folk melodies are, without exception, homophonous.
- 2(Of a word or words) having the same pronunciation as another or others but different meaning, origin, or spelling.More example sentences
- Consequently both are described as homophonous words.
- Chinese is by reputation much more homophonous than English.
- More example sentences
- By setting one voice against three, Byrd masterfully harnesses the emphatic qualities of both polyphony and homophony: the text repetition of the former and the clarity and unity of the latter.
- Note that I'm not denying that languages can and do differ in their relative amounts of homophony, word-sense ambiguity and lexical category ambiguity.
- Being raised in a Lutheran tradition, my vocal writing is largely chorale style homophony contrasting with traditional contrapuntal textures.
More definitions of homophonousDefinition of homophonous in:
- The US English dictionary