Definition of hoodia in English:
1A cactus-like succulent plant native to southern Africa.
- Genus Hoodia, family Asclepiadaceae: several species, in particular H. gordonii
- Similarly, trade restrictions now apply to hoodia, a cactus native to southern Africa.
- It is developed from the hoodia cactus, which grows in isolated parts of the Kalahari desert.
- For thousands of years the Bushmen chewed on the hoodia as an appetite suppressant on long journeys across the desert.
2 [mass noun] A compound derived from hoodia which acts as an appetite suppressant.
- The active ingredient in hoodia is a compound called P57.
- I no longer take hoodia because I now know how much I should be eating to maintain my weight and no longer eat huge meals.
- The ideal time to take hoodia is 30-60 minutes before each meal.
early 20th century: modern Latin (genus name), from Hood, the surname of an English plant grower.
Definition of hoodia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan