1A cactus-like succulent plant native to southern Africa.
- Genus Hoodia, family Asclepiadaceae: several species, in particular H. gordonii
- Similarly, trade restrictions now apply to hoodia, a cactus native to southern Africa.
- It is developed from the hoodia cactus, which grows in isolated parts of the Kalahari desert.
- For thousands of years the Bushmen chewed on the hoodia as an appetite suppressant on long journeys across the desert.
2 [mass noun] A compound derived from hoodia which acts as an appetite suppressant.
- The active ingredient in hoodia is a compound called P57.
- I no longer take hoodia because I now know how much I should be eating to maintain my weight and no longer eat huge meals.
- The ideal time to take hoodia is 30-60 minutes before each meal.
Early 20th century: modern Latin (genus name), from Hood, the surname of an English plant grower.
Definition of hoodia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.